Monday, May 19, 2014

The United Dates Of Sarah - Casting for Love - Entry 9



For those of you who don't know "what I do", here it is...I work in entertainment and what I've come to learn is that dating is EXACTLY like casting. If you don't work in this industry, you might not know all of the terms that go along with casting...so here's the lesson of the day. If you're in the industry and you know the lingo...feel free to skip ahead:

- Audition - going out for a role and putting your best foot forward in order to get that role



- Callback - the casting director really liked you the first time so they want to see you again and show you off to the producer/director

- Avail/Pin - being put on avail or being pinned means that they really like you! They want to make sure you're available for the shoot dates. Although you may be put on avail, you still might not get the role though because they might have a couple other people holding as well.

- Released - being released is very hard for people because you were so close to booking. This is when casting calls and tells you that you did not get the job.

- Booking - booking is when casting calls you and tells you the job is yours! 

Now...How does this relate to dating? 


1. Auditioning = dating
2. Callbacks = a second or third or fourth, etc. date
3. Being put on avail = being exclusive with the person
4. Booking = being asked to be official (like Facebook official or put a ring on it official)
5. If you're released from the avail (meaning you didn't book the job) = this isn't going to work out.

Obviously most of my dates are just auditions. I don't give a lot of callbacks out and I've only been in two relationships that have been put on avail and really just one that was a booking :P 
If we could break it off like an agent breaks the news about not booking a job, dating would be so much easier...

I call this next scene "Agenting":

Me (agenting): Hey! So unfortunately you've been released from the avail = I don't want to be in a relationship with you

Guy (actor response): Bummer ok. Do you know what they were looking for that I didn't have = that sucks, was it me?

Me (agenting): you were great but unfortunately they went in another direction. = yeah it was you...

Guy (actor response): Alright = Damn

Me (agenting): Don't worry about it, you, you'll get the next one. Onwards and upwards = it's not going to be me, but you'll make another girl happy I'm sure. Now please stop texting me.

And that's how it should be done.

Anyways, on to this next story..I call him Careless...you'll see why.  

One of my first experiences on OKCupid was interesting. I started talking to this guy and he seemed to have everything. He was studying to be a doctor, he had goals and seemed really nice BUT he was not detail oriented. Usually this wouldn't bother me but when it comes to my name, it's kind of annoying. 

Sooo Sarah can be spelled a couple of ways. According to Google, here they are:

Sarah
Sara
Sehra
Cera
Cerah

Obviously the first two are the most popular.

Anyways, on my profile, I introduce myself and have my name, SARAH, on the "about me" part so one would think that's how I spell my name, right? Wrong! 

Without fail, every time he messaged me or texted me he would forget the H. That's fine...except when he keeps doing it even after I correct him...It's kind of ridiculous....

I have a thing with my name...It's something I realized when I was younger...here it is: 



This sounds very stupid but after soooo many times of him not spelling my name correctly..I had to just put it out there.

So we talk for another couple of days and it kind of dies down. A month or so later I get a text from Careless: 





I never wrote back to him again...because seriously?!? Spell my name correctly! It's not that hard to add an H..geeezze

Don't forget to email me any stories you may have TheUnitedDatesOfSarah@gmail.com
And Follow Me On Twitter @UntDatesOfSarah and like the Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/TheUnitedDatesOfSarah


I post new blogs ever MONDAY! If you're interested in subscribing, scroll all the way down and it should say "subscribe" :)



What an awkward question and pick up line? 



  



                                       

2 comments:

  1. I came across your blog today and you seem pretty interesting, or at least your writing is. How can I reach you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok this is becoming a daily read for me....love it.

    ReplyDelete